The Sauk County Historical Museum (531 4th Ave.) is open May through October, Friday & Saturday, noon until 4 pm. The History Center (900 2nd Ave.) is open year round Wed thru Sat, 12:00 to 4 pm. If you would like to visit the museum during off days, please call the History Center at 608-356-1001, during its open hours.
Sauk County Historical Society Museum
To view a slide show of the 2015 Edwardian Christmas at the Museum CLICK HERE
Who Put the “Lake” in Lake Delton?
When Lake Delton was filled for the first time in 1927, it marked the end of a construction project that had lasted for over a year and cost over $600,000 at the time. The creation of a lake for recreational and residential purposes was a new concept, especially in a state that had over 15,000 natural lakes. To view a presentation on the history of Lake Delton, click HERE.
Rob Nurre channels surveyor, Wm Canfield in this 30 minute tribute. Learn how "Canfield" discovered the Man Mound, and how he helped preserve it for future generations. Click HERE to watch the video.
The story of the WWII bomber, Myasis Dragon, and its final mission. Baraboo native, Harry Sansum was aboard that fateful day. Two of his crew survived to tell their story. Click *Here* to learn more.
A Personal Recollection of William Harvey Canfield: Through A Child's Eyes By Alison Armstrong Fanara
Not every county in Wisconsin is lucky enough to have had a historian on the ground since virtually day one—and a passionate and gifted historian at that. Sauk County was set apart in 1840 to become a county of the Wisconsin Territory, and only two years later William H. Canfield arrived in the Baraboo Valley, destined to become its first historian. Like many of us today, he was struck by the beauty of Sauk County but knew that its history was changing fast and that it needed to be recorded.
William Canfield was born on April 9, 1819. On the occasion of Canfield’s 194th birthday this past April, we celebrated this dedicated man and his contributions to Sauk County history. A presentation was delivered by Alison Armstrong Fanara,a distant relative of Mr. Canfield, who shared her grandfather’s recollections of Canfield and presented the SCHS with a page torn from one of his journals that was given to her grandfather. To learn more, click here.
The SCHS History Center was acquired by the Society in 2007. The former office building of the Island Woolen Mill is currently being renovated. New windows were installed in 2007, along with landscaping. The work on the main and top floors was completed in March 2013. The main floor is for research, public lectures, and offices. The top floor is reserved for artifact storage and office space. As funds permit, the basement will be renovated for artifact displays. The History Center is now open. If you would like to help the Society move forward on this important project and learn more about how you can help, please click here ♦.
SAUK COUNTY, ABOVE AND BEYOND
Each year we select a theme from our county history to highlight and this year’s theme is “Sauk County, Above and Beyond”. We are telling the story of Sauk County’s notable aviators and the aero planes they flew. Aerial maps and photos taken from above are also on display. Click here to view area towns and villages from the air in vintage and current images. Click here to learn about Sauk County's notable aviators.
Sauk County Historical Society Photo Collection There are over 20,000 vintage images available for viewing on our Flickr Web site. Including, Sauk County towns, cities, villages, people, Native Americans, circus, and much more. Spend an afternoon reminiscing by browsing our vast collection of photos. Click here for our Flickr Web site.
Check us out on FACEBOOK
Mission Statement of the Sauk County Historical Society
The mission of the Sauk County Historical Society is to protect, maintain and disseminate the history of Sauk County; and to assist other historical societies and local history related endeavors in Sauk County.