Witwen.jpg

Witwen

Sauk County Historical Society

Photographic Collection

 

[WTN*] Copied 2000

 

WTN1             Witwen Campgrounds, 1922. Built around 1918. Located on Hwy E, Witwen, west side of road, just north side of mill race. Photo from Sauk Co. Historical Soc.

WTN2             Old Mill, 1922. Built as a flour and feed mill around 1866. Water ran under the mill. (Photo from Sauk Co. Historical Soc.)

WTN3             Troy and Honey Creek Creamery, 1922. (From Sauk Co. Historical Soc.)

WTN4             Witwen General Store, 1928. From the book “Honey Creek Hamlets, 1998".

WTN5             Witwen. (Photo from Sauk Co. Historical Soc.)

WTN6             Witwen Roller Mill around 1867. Built around 1866. Water ran under the mill. A post office was established here in 1892. Photo from Sauk Co. Historical Soc.

WTN7             Witwen Garage, operated by Henry Zech. Next by Bert Callaway until it burned in 1924. This structure built in 1924 & operated by Toby Clavadatscher. Date on pictures is 1929. From the book “Honey Creek Hamlets, 1998".

WTN8             Witwen General Store, 1928. From Sauk Co. Historical Soc.

WTN9             Old Witwen Creamery, burned in 1904. From the book “Honey Creek Hamlets, 1998".

WTN10                      Troy and Honey Creek Creamery, 1922. From the book “Honey Creek Hamlets, 1998". [See WTN3 for better image]

WTN11                      Witwen Drug Store. From the book “Honey Creek Hamlets, 1998".

WTN12                      Blacksmith shop, built late 1800's. Painted red. Located in Witwen, Hwy E, west side of road just south of the store. First owner, Jim Conallz?, then Joe Meyer; Virgil Ward closed it in 1970.

WTN13                      Toby’s Garage, built in 1926. Located east side of Hwy E, across from blacksmith shop. Photo owned by Norma Clavadatscher. (From collection of Carol Anderson).

WTN14                      Troy & Honey Creek Telephone Office. Located corner of Co. Hwys. E & O. The stockholder company until a Elias Witwen purchased and installed a switchboard in his house. When he moved from the farm to Witwen he took the switchboard with him. Newton Witwen took over.  (From collection of Carol Anderson).

WTN15                      Witwen Schoolhouse. Was painted cream color with brown trim. Located on Hwy O, just south of intersection with Hwy. E on corner.  (From collection of Carol Anderson).

WTN16                      Co-operative Farmer’s Creamery. Built 1904. Located 3/4 miles north of Witwen. Burned in 1904. New one built next to Troy & Honey Creek creamery. Produced butter and cheese.  (From collection of Carol Anderson).

WTN17                      Park and bandstand.  (From collection of Carol Anderson).

WTN18                      Witwen Dam, located half mile west of mill.  (From collection of Carol Anderson).

WTN19                      Witwen Dam and pond. Located half mile west of mill.  (From collection of Carol Anderson).

WTN20                      Witwen General Store. Built ca. late 1890's. Photo owned by Norma Clavadatscher. Located on Hwy E, west side of road next to mill race.  (From collection of Carol Anderson).

WTN21          Sawmill in Witwen. Note steam engine power in background.  (From collection of Carol Anderson).

 

 

Witwen Dam?, UN1945

Witwen Dam, 14-2005DR, wooden dam, 1908, [from Sumpter Book Collection photos]

 

Witwen Parade

Parade photos taken July 4, 2008, when Bill Schuette and Paul Wolter entered a SCHS float in

            the parade.