Pointon Pottery Works in Baraboo
This jar is a piece of pottery made by Phillip Pointon in the mid-1800s and in the collection of the Society. The pottery shop was erected about 1853 and was located at the north east corner of West Street and Second Avenue in Baraboo. For nearly five years Phillip Pointon made enough jars, jugs and other wares to keep three wagons delivering his pottery to the surrounding towns in central Sauk County.
Some of the pottery was probably made using a potter's wheel powered by a foot treadle and then fired in a wood-fueled kiln. This pot was made using a mold.
Philip Pointon was born in England in 1808. He was a superintendent of factories before he came to America. He arrived in Baraboo in 1850. A year later he established a brick yard and "burned" the brick used in many early notable buildings including the 1855 county courthouse, the D.K. Noyes home and the old Congregational Church (all gone). Pointon used local clay obtained at "Gillson's slough" west of the city near the intersection of Highway 136 and Cornfield Road. After Pointon's death in 1857 the business was sold and was destroyed by fire soon after.