405 2nd Ave.jpg

Tour five historic homes plus an historic carriage house!

June 23rd 10 am - 4 pm

$13 per person in advanced (through June 22nd)

$15 per person at the door on June 23rd

Members $2 discount.

Cost:
Quantity:
Buy Tickets

Tour of Historic Homes

When? June 23, 2018    10 am- 4 pm 

Where? Baraboo, Wisconsin

Where to start? Sauk County Historical Society Museum

                         531 4th Avenue, Baraboo, WI 53913

Cost per person? $15 at the door or $13 in advance

The Sauk County Historical Society will host the 2018 Baraboo Tour of Historic Homes on Saturday, June 23 from 10 am to 4 pm. The tour will feature five historic homes and one carriage house in Baraboo ranging in style from folk Victorian to mid-century modern.

The Sauk County Historical Museum at the historic Van Orden Mansion will also be open on the day of the tour featuring a new exhibit entitled “Artists and Artisans” along with other new exhibits. The 2018 tour is sponsored by RE/MAX Grand, Johnsen Insurance, Senger Lumber, First Weber Foundation, Weickgenant Accounting, Baraboo State Bank and Hausmann-Johnson Insurance.

Tickets for the tour can be purchased starting June 1 in Baraboo at the Sauk County History Center, the Baraboo Area Visitors Center and downtown at Corner Drug and in Reedsburg at the Chamber of Commerce.  Tickets can also be purchased here. 

Tickets are $13 per person in advance and $15 on the day of the tour with a $2 discount for members. Tickets purchased in advanced can be picked up at the Sauk County Museum on the day of the tour

405 2nd Ave.jpg
803 5th St.jpg
620 Park (1).jpg
803 Birch (2).jpg
226 6th Ave.jpg
Carriage House.jpg
 
 405 Second Avenue

405 Second Avenue

405 2nd Avenue

The Hatch residence was built in 1902 for William and Johanna Hatch and their family. Hatch was a railroad locomotive engineer. The house cost $5,000 and replaced an earlier house on this site. The house includes a third floor walk-up attic which was used during World War II to house nine employees who worked at Badger Army Ammunition Plant.

803 5th St.jpg

803 5th Street

This home was built on the edge of town when farmer Ed Barstow built a new house in 1898 at the corner of Fifth and Wheeler streets. The house was soon purchased by Julius Hoppe for its seclusion in a grove of trees. It wasn’t long however before Hoppe had neighbors. 

226 6th Ave.jpg

226 Sixth Avenue

Built in 1910 for Charles and Mary Grubb, this home was built with concrete block covered with stucco -  a new concept at the time. The house features much of its original charm including hardwood floors, original woodwork and built-ins.

Carriage House.jpg

Carriage House

This 1883 carriage house on Third Avenue will also be one of the 2018 tour stops where guests can see a restored carriage house complete with horse inside.


803 Birch (2).jpg

803 Birch Street

A fourth tour house on Birch Street was seemingly built in 1928 in the popular Colonial Revival style but has a secret past being an Italianate style house from 1881 which was heavily remodeled. Now beautifully maintained the house has one of the first attached car garages in the city.

803 Birch Door 2 (1).jpg
620 Park (1).jpg

620 Park Street

The earliest home dates from before 1883 when it was moved over a half mile across town and set down on a new foundation on Park Street which was then the edge of town. The interior was most likely remodeled at that time and each of the main rooms features a different style of Eastlake woodwork.